HILLSBOROUGH CITY SCHOOL DISTRICT BOARD OF TRUSTEES
NAMES LOUANN CARLOMAGNO AS INTERIM SUPERINTENDENT
Brings Wealth of Experience in K-8 Schools, Curriculum and Instruction,
Community Funded Districts, Science and Technology
The Board of Trustees of the Hillsborough City School District is pleased and excited to announce the selection of Ms. Louann Carlomagno as the Interim Superintendent for the 2017-2018 school year. We are fortunate to have attracted such an experienced and successful superintendent to our District. We are confident she will help us carry on if not improve upon educational initiatives and build on the strengths and knowledge of our administrators, teachers, staff and community partners.
Ms. Carlomagno comes from a science background and left the private research sector in 1991 to become a science teacher in the Sonoma Valley Unified School District (SVUSD). For over 20 years, she served in the following leadership positions:
- 2010-present Superintendent, Sonoma Valley Unified School District, Sonoma, CA
- 2006-2010 Director, Curriculum & Instruction (K-12), Sonoma Valley Unified School District, Sonoma, CA
- 2000-2006 Principal, El Verano Elementary School (Gr. K-5), Sonoma Valley Unified School District, Sonoma, CA
- 1999-2000 Vice Principal, Altimira Middle School (Gr. 6-8), Sonoma Valley Unified School District, Sonoma, CA
- 1998-1999 Interim Co-Director (Gr. K-8) and Cluster III (Gr. 6-8) Lead Teacher, Sonoma Charter School, Sonoma Valley Unified School District, Sonoma, CA
- 1996-1998 Cluster III Lead Teacher, Sonoma Charter School, Sonoma Valley Unified School District, Sonoma, CA
As a District Administrator, some of her accomplishments include:
- Passed two General Obligation Bond Measures totaling $160M – 2010 and 2016
- Recipient of numerous grants including the Investing In Innovations Grant from the US Department of Education for $2.9M to integrate Science and English Language Development with The Exploratorium
- Completed Facility Master Plans for 12 district sites
- Maintained fiscal health of the district while it was community funded for four years and then changed to LCFF funded
- Worked with the Sonoma Valley Education Foundation to fundraise $1.2M annually for innovative district programs
- Implemented Common Core State Standards for all school sites
- Led the development of the SVUSD Technology Plan along with 1-to-1 Chromebook implementation for students in grades 6-12
- Facilitated the adoption of all instructional materials while serving as Curriculum Director
- Annually completes the Local Control and Accountability Plan with strong parent and community outreach
- Oversees Special Education programming including Multi-Tiered Systems of Support throughout the district
- Implementation of Units of Study in Writing and Reading (commonly referred to as Writers Workshop) in all district elementary schools
- Oversight of community use of district athletic fields and facilities, including quarterly meetings with coaches of all leagues who use district fields
Ms. Carlomagno's educational background is as follows:
- 2017 Doctorate of Education: Organizational Leadership, Brandman University – In Progress
- 2004 Professional Administrative Services Credential (PASCII), Sonoma State University
- 2003 Master of Arts: Educational Leadership, Sonoma State University
- 1995 Single Subject Credential in Chemistry (Examination) and Life Science, Chapman University
- 1985 Bachelor of Science: Genetics, University of California, Davis
We spoke with numerous individuals about Ms. Carlomagno, including a current Board president, a school site principal, her predecessor superintendent (and now administrative consultant), an accomplished superintendent consultant/coach who has worked with her district, long time legal counsel for her district, and the former head of Crystal Springs Uplands School. They described Ms. Carlomagno as always positive, inclusive, a true collaborator, and a relationship person who believes in building strong teams through support and coaching. Ms. Carlomagno values the social emotional health of students equally with their academic achievement and whatever she takes on, she is always "all in."
The Board believes Ms. Carlomagno is the perfect person to help us continue our pursuit of excellence in educational programs. She is familiar with the finances of community funded districts and many of the curricular initiatives underway. She values relationships, collaboration, and strives to build a cohesive administrative team. She believes that the central district office exists to serve the school sites and help them to be successful.
Ms. Carlomagno is as excited to be coming to Hillsborough as we are to welcome her. She stated: "I am thrilled to become part of this renowned School District and the Hillsborough community. I want to continue the good work and initiatives begun under Superintendent Ranii and support the administrators and staff in any way I can. I cannot wait to meet the students, parents and District partners, all of whom make this such a successful District. "
Subject to Board ratification of an employment agreement at its meeting on June 21, Ms. Carlomagno will begin her Interim Superintendency on July 1, which will allow her to work with Superintendent Ranii to facilitate a smooth transition into the 2017-2018 school year. We look forward to welcoming Ms. Carlomagno to the Hillsborough School community and supporting her in every way we can to ensure her success and the continued excellence of our District. We will schedule opportunities for staff, parents/guardians, and community partners to meet Ms. Carlomagno as the new school year begins.